The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (Paperback)
Unlock the family secrets in your DNA!
Discover the answers to your family history mysteries using the most cutting edge tool available. This plain-English guide (newly updated and expanded to include th latest DNA developments) will teach you what DNA tests are available; the pros and cons of the major testing companies; and how to choose the right test to answer your specific genealogy questions. And once you've taken a DNA test, this guide will help you use your often-overwhelming results, with tips for understanding ethnicity estimates, navigating suggested cousin matches, and using third-party tools like GEDmatch to further analyze your data.
The book features:
· Colorful diagrams and expert definitions that explain key DNA terms and concepts such as haplogroups and DNA inheritance patterns
· Detailed guides to each of the major kinds of DNA tests and tips for selecting the DNA test that can best help you solve your family mysteries, with case studies showing how each can be useful
· Information about third-party tools you can use to more thoroughly analyze your test results once you've received them
· Test comparison guides and research forms to help you select the most appropriate DNA test and organize your results
· Insights into how adoptees and others who know little about their ancestry can benefit from DNA testing
Whether you've just heard of DNA testing or you've tested at all three major companies, this guide will give you the tools you need to unpuzzle your DNA and discover what it can tell you about your family tree.
"[This] Guide to DNA Testing offers a lot of information for the beginner and advanced researcher alike...[and] is easy to read and comprehend" --Bobbi King for Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter
"There are very few titles on my book shelf in my genealogy office that I refer to constantly. I know that The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy will be one of those titles for years to come. I don't think I could have made some of my recent progress in my research without the valuable information provided by a knowledgeable DNA [expert] like Blaine Bettinger." --Thomas MacEntee
"Informative. Understandable. Solid." --Judy Russell, The Legal Genealogist
"[Bettinger] describes, in the simplest of terms, how to begin using genetic technologies to connect with both close and more distant members of our great human family." --Jennifer Wagner for Genome magazine